Ride Share Tips
For a smooth commute, make sure to decide on the following issues before travel:
- If more than one person will be driving, decide who will drive when. Create a schedule and make sure everyone has a copy.
- Make sure everyone has a list of each carpooler's home and work phone numbers in case of illness, emergency, or change of plans.
- Choose a convenient meeting place or decide to pick up each person at home.
- Set a few rules, like:
- How long you will wait for late riders. Five minutes is typical.
- Whether smoking is allowed.
- Whether food and drink are allowed.
- Which entertainment will be used: music, news, or nothing.
- Decide on costs. Use the cost calculator provided on this site.
- Make sure the vehicle runs well and is reliable.
- Make sure the vehicle has insurance. Also, check your insurance policy - some companies offer rate reductions for ridesharing.
This page last updated on 5/28/2010.