Ride Share Safety
Safety is a primary concern when sharing rides with strangers. Northwest Michigan Council of Governments and NMRide.net assume no liability for the safety of those who use this site to connect transportation sharing. However, we strongly suggest the following safety guidelines:
- Use a free web-based email account to register on this site. Examples are Yahoo Mail, Mail.com, Gmail, and Microsoft Hotmail. These accounts are more anonymous than home or work email addresses.
- Meet the person you are considering traveling with in a public place, before agreeing to travel together. Discuss travel safety.
- Follow your instincts: if you do not feel safe with the person, do not travel with him or her.
- Confirm your prospective travel partner's phone number ahead of time. You might want to check the number in the phone book or online.
- Ask for personal references.
- Make a copy of your travel partner's driver's license or i.d. when you first meet him or her.
- Exchange emergency contact numbers before traveling.